Human Centered Design LeadApply Now
Bellese Technologies is a cutting-edge civic technology firm. We foster a learning environment that thrives on curiosity, innovation, and passion about improving healthcare in America. Our remote-first team is spread across 20+ states and leverages exceptional collaboration to amplify our strengths. We provide an environment focused around helping you achieve your goals. Because when you succeed, we all succeed.
Do you like to tackle complex problems and help define/design & build their solution? Do you like to translate the needs of humans into software designs and solutions? Do you enjoy complex data analysis with large data sets? If you answer “yes” to many/all of these questions then you may be just the kind of person we are looking for.
We are looking for someone with a passion for design strategy and solving big problems in healthcare. We need strategically focused individuals to apply design thinking skills to help us build the right performant, elegant, and useful solutions used by millions of Americans.
As HCD Lead, you will lead a team of human-centered design professionals, including designers and researchers, on a contract that aims to modernize pricing and coding services available to the Medicare claims processing system. Our core areas of work support the Center for Medicare (CM), the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI), and the Office of Information Technology within the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Across these areas, our products are grounded in discovery conducted by the HCD team. This work, seeks to: (1) understand problems that CMS and its stakeholders encounter from the user, business, and technical perspectives, (2) define possible solutions to solve these problems, (3) clearly articulate the value add that any proposed solution(s) may bring to CMS and its stakeholders, (4) provide strategic advice on how to build out/phase in solutions to represent in a roadmap, and (5) design, test, and iterate on solutions as needed.
Extra Credit for experience in:Knowledge of Medicare claims data and claims processingKnowledge Medicare payment policies and systems operationalizationAbility to interpret and communicate business, technical, and user needs and pain pointsPrior experience with CMS and/or other federal agenciesService and UX design methodologies and tools (Mural, Lucid, Airtable) and design research management
- Design research management & operations
- Overseeing the day-to-day coordination of a multi-disciplinary team of researchers, service design and UX design experts in a way that leads to innovative ideas as well as operational efficiency.Reducing ambiguity in problems through quantitative and qualitative research – you work with your team to go to the source and make sure you truly understand issues from the user, business, and systems perspectives.
- Working within the Program Incremnt planning framework to forecast HCD work a couple of months out at a time.
- Working with Product Manager and individual design team members to breakdown that work into sprints, stories, tasksEstablishing, enforcing, and improving HCD team processes, standards, and tools that enable design and research.
- Reporting on status of research and design initiatives.
- Facilitating cross-functional conversations and individual check-ins, as necessary to ensure collaboration.
- Ensuring knowledge management and sharing across the HCD team, PCS team, and company, as appropriate.Strategy & communicationConsulting on overall product strategy and management, including what products we’re going to create, why, and on what schedule (shared effort with Product and Engineering staff).Sitting in the customer’s and user’s shoes: you seek to understand and empathize with the users and their goals – their problems are your problems.
- Contributing to business development initiatives as required.
- Communicating technical or complex ideas into easy to understand artifacts that lay audiences or non-technical stakeholders are able to engage with Cross-functional collaboration
- Collaborating with the product manager, designer and researcher, data analysts, and data scientists to develop and refine research questions with data analysis, such as from claims data, publicly available healthcare data, and secondary research (eg, literature reviews).
- Collaborating with product managers and data analysts to develop metrics, baseline measures, and benchmarks for current and future products so the customer can see what works
Nice to have
- Knowledge of Medicare claims data and claims processing
- Knowledge Medicare payment policies and systems operationalization
- Ability to interpret and communicate business, technical, and user needs and pain points
- Prior experience with CMS and/or other federal agencies
- Service and UX design methodologies and tools (Mural, Lucid, Airtable) and design research management
- Three weeks paid leave
- Flexible Schedule and Remote-First culture
- $3000 annual education stipend
- Work from home setup including Macbook (possibly used/refurbished)
- Collaborative, learning environment
- Health insurance
- 401K Plan with Safe Harbor contribution
Apply For This Job
Executive Order requiring COVID safety protocols
Bellese employees are Federal Workers and are subject to Executive Order 14042, Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, dated September 9, 2021 (published in the Federal Register on September 14, 2021, 86 FR 50985). As condition of employment, employees will need to provide either: a: proof of completed COVID vaccinations OR b: have an approved medical or religious exemption and proof of weekly COVID testing.
U.S. citizen or legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship
Bellese Technologies, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. In addition to federal law requirements, Bellese Technologies, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
EEO is the law:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement